You asked for it! This has been one of my favorites as of late and I’m happy to share with you all the basics of how I prepare it. This recipe takes a little longer than past recipes (one hour) mostly because I use the Instant Pot to prepare the chicken AND brussel sprouts. This recipe could easily be cut down by 15 minutes with simultaneous use of the oven so once you give it a try we’re welcome to suggestions to decrease the prep time!
What you need:
- 2 lbs chicken breast
- x1 fresh pineapple (or x1 can of pineapple chunks)
- x1 bottle of Trader Joe’s Korean Style BBQ sauce
- x2 bags of brussel sprouts (approximately 2 lbs total)
- 2 cups brown rice
- minced garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper, soy sauce
- Preparation: Halve the brussel sprouts and rinse. Slice the Pineapple into small pieces.
- Brown rice: I use an Aroma rice cooker to make my rice! Simply add 2 cups brown rice with 4 cups water (2:1 ratio of rice to water). I do this step first so that its cooking while I’m working on the brussel sprouts and chicken. Brown rice takes much longer than white rice to cook so you may also substitute if time is a limiting factor. Keep in mind brown rice is a whole grain, preferable to white rice. This is why I use an Aroma rice cook, because it allows me to be able to use brown rice with little to no effort while I prepare the rest of the meal prep. If you don’t have an Aroma rice cook then use your preferred means of cooking rice (see below).
- Brussel Sprouts: I used the Instant Pot for this step. Add olive oil and saute for 5-10 minutes with occasional mixing. Add 1/2 cup soy sauce and 1/3 cup water and cook on high pressure for 3 minutes. Distribute among meal prep containers.
- Chicken: Here I also used the Instant Pot. Add 1/2 cup water. Cook on high pressure for 7 minutes. Shred using two forks. Throw in the pineapple and add the Korean Style BBQ Sauce to taste (I use approximately 2/3 of one bottle).
If you don’t have an Instant Pot, feel free to message us on our Instagram page requesting resourcess or ways to prepare this meal using other methods! We’d love to hear your feedback about the meal and ways to improve it!!